What is a Get it On! Champion?
A Get it On! Champion spreads the message about enjoying great sex with condoms and lube. There are two ways you can do this: be an advocate in your personal environment and/or become a volunteer.
We want to create a condom culture. As a Get it On! Champion we would like you to be a condom advocate. This can involve promoting the use of condoms and lube with your friends, family, whānau, and loved ones through conversations or by directing those who need help to the right services.
Tips that can help:
- Get clear – find simple and clear messages that work for you when you’re talking with people in your life about using condoms and lube, by using the Get it On! website and Facebook to keep yourself and others up to date.
It can be a tricky conversation – talking about sex is usually either very fun or very awkward! Have the conversation with people that you already feel comfortable talking about sex with. As you get more experience and confident you can then talk to people you normally would not talk to.
Common sense – don’t spring it on people, respect people’s privacy, don’t preach, and don’t overload people with information. If you need to challenge, challenge the behaviour, not the person.
If they are anti:
- Acknowledge – listen to concerns respectfully, and take them seriously. “So what you are saying is you feel that condoms limit intimacy...tell me more about why you feel this way”.
- Clarify – get clear about the underlying issue. “So what specifically is it about condoms that you feel limit intimacy?”
- Move forward – once the concern has been heard it is time to begin resolving it. “Would it be useful if we talked about ways to put on a condom that don’t feel like such an interruption?”
Be a Volunteer
Another way to be a Get it On! Champion and spread the condom message is through Get it On! volunteer work. Get it On! has a list of ways volunteers can help the cause. We have condom packing, bar runs, and championing events.
Condom packing: to keep up with the condom demands, Get it On! holds a social condom packing night. This is a great way to meet other volunteers, and help Get it On! and the community by packing condoms. No experience required and everyone is invited to come and have fun.
- Auckland: Wednesday evenings 5pm - 7pm. Contact Paul Heard: 09 300 6969 or email@example.com. 35 Hargreaves St, College Hill, Auckland. View map.
- Wellington: Wednesday evenings 5pm - 7pm and on Friday from 1pm – 5pm. Contact Carl Greenwood: 04 381 6642 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Level 1 187 Willis Street, Wellington 6011. View map.
- Christchurch: Contact Akira Le Fevre: 03 379 1953 or Akira.LeFevre@nzaf.org.nz. 54 A Winton St, St Albans, Christchurch. View map.
Bar runs: Get it On! often holds bar runs where a group of champions will hand out condom packs at venues and bars.
Event Championing: Get it On! sponsors a wide variety of events all over the country to spread the condom message. We often need volunteers to hand out promotional material and condoms at these events. Often our volunteers even get to stay and enjoy the events we sponsor. These events include: Get it On! Big Gay Out, Westfield Style Pasifika, No.8 Film nights, Love Life Fono, Out in the Square, Vinegar Hill, Christchurch Pride week, and many more.
And not to forget, our champion parties. Get it On! hosts parties exclusively for our champions as a way to thank you for all your hard work.
So Get it On! and get involved! Visit our condom packing nights, or fill in a Get it On! Champion form.